Skip to main content

What you want in life is not that important; but how badly you want matters the most: Shahnaz Husain



Unfazed by her high profile celebrity status in the glamourous world of cosmetics, the staple diet of iconic Shahnaz Husain is simple dal, roti, salad and yoghurt but icing on the cake is daily intake of never dying spirit of ‘Survival’.  It is that indomitable spirit which had kept her afloat during the most trying circumstances of life when she was in an incarnation of a journalist writing regularly for Iran Tribune to eke out bread. The driving force was undiluted zeal to raise her family, but regular typing for hours at a stretch on typewriters had left her fingers scrappy and tips numbed.

In a detailed interview to Neeraj Bajpai, Shahnaz Husain, Founder, Chairperson and Managing Director of Shahnaz Husain Group of Companies, shares experiences and journey of her life.

Excerpts:

Please tell us some interesting anecdotes of life which gave lifetime lessons?
I decided to work for the prized beauty training institutions of the West to learn cosmetic chemistry and cosmetology. I was not a graduate, having got married straight after school. But I loved to write, so I started writing articles for Iran Tribune on various subjects. I was asked to contribute 1000 words per week and the response was so good that they asked me to handle all the features in English and soon I was doing the entire English magazine – cover to cover. There were only manual typewriters those days and I would be typing furiously to meet the deadlines. I remember that my fingers became sore and started bleeding. I tied bandages and continued typing, oblivious to the pain. Finally, I had to seek medical treatment and the Russian doctor told me, “If you don’t stop typing, I will have to chop off your fingers.” I will never forget the emotional upheaval. I knew I could not stop writing. I needed the money for my education. I looked at my fingers and quietly murmured, “Doctor, how much?” – I thought even if he cut off the minced part – I would still have enough left. I was that desperate to continue, so that I could pay the fees for my studies. I needed to earn the money to pay for my education. He was amazed that my first thought or anguish was not about the fingers I would lose! This incident made me believe that in life it is not what you want that is important, but how badly you want it. It made me believe in myself and my own abilities.
Share some experiences of your early journey and who inspired you the most?
While training in London in Cosmetology, I came across instances of damage caused by chemical treatments. In a way, this changed the course of my life and career. I wanted to find a natural alternative that was safe and without risks. My study of Ayurveda convinced me that it could offer the ideal answers to modern cosmetic-care. I returned to India and started my first herbal salon in the verandah of my home in New Delhi in 1971. I adopted the concept of “herbal care and cure.” It was totally a unique and path-breaking concept. I rejected the existing salon treatments and devised my own. I also began to formulate my own products using plant ingredients and natural substances based on the Ayurvedic system. Today, the salon treatments and products have become breakthroughs in natural beauty care. We have become known, not only for our treatments for general beauty care, but also for our therapeutic products and salon treatments for problems like acne, hyper-pigmentation, scars, premature ageing, dandruff, hair damage and hair loss etc.

I began to extend my salons on a unique franchise system. I started encouraging housewives to start a beauty salon in their own homes and thus would achieve financial independence. This way they could have a career and also be close at hand to care of home and family. I trained them and gave the Shahnaz Herbal Franchise so that they could carry out my specialized treatments. It was the beginning of my franchise system and beauty training academy. The fast paced extension of the Shahnaz Husain Salons and other ventures is due to our franchise system. Today, the Shahnaz Husain franchise has become a successful business model, with tremendous international goodwill and demand. We operate in more than 100 countries with
 our franchise ventures and direct product distributors. From one herbal salon to a worldwide chain of ventures has been a phenomenal journey.

My father inspired me to follow my dreams. When I started my business, he taught me to have faith in my own abilities. He said there is no such thing as destiny. You can make your own destiny; you can be what you will yourself to be. When I opened my first herbal clinic in my own home, it was my father from whom I borrowed Rs.35, 000. Behind my success is my father’s faith. He was a constant source of support.

Q. Where do you find yourself now and after five or 10 years down the line?
Today, I head an organization which is the largest one of its kind in the world, with a global network of franchise ventures, comprising of franchise salons, spa, retail outlets, and beauty training institutes and over 380 Ayurvedic products for beauty and health care. Today, we operate in more than 100 countries, with our franchise ventures and direct product distributors. From one herbal salon to a worldwide chain of ventures, it has been a phenomenal journey. We are expanding our footprints across the globe, so I see Ayurvedic beauty care leading the international cosmetic market within the coming decade. Product innovation has helped our organization to remain a dynamic one. So, I will continue to innovate and launch advanced products in Ayurvedic beauty care.

Q. What are the expansion plans for the Group? 

We plan to expand our presence in major countries like U.S.A, U.K., Canada, Middle East, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, South East Asia, New Zealand, Russia and CIS countries. Our future plans include concentrated international branding, strengthening and widening our global chain of franchise ventures and appointing distributors in unrepresented new markets. I never rest on my laurels. I always look for new frontiers to cross and new mountains to climb.
Q. Any ambitious plan to enter politics?
No plan to enter politics.
Q. What is your message for young generation especially on retaining natural beauty?
‘Internal good health and external beauty’ are two sides of the same coin. True beauty comes from sheer good health and physical fitness, so along with external care, pay attention to nutrition, exercise and follow a healthy lifestyle. Opt for herbal and natural ingredients for beauty care and stay away from chemical treatments and products. 

Q. How will you describe beauty?
Beauty is a total impact of physical beauty power, brain power and spiritual power. It is the blending together of physical, emotional, mental and even spiritual qualities integrated into one as a whole.



Q. What is your criterion of judging beauty?                                         
In my book- “The Book of Absolute Beauty”, I have written that a beautiful woman is one who has learnt to value her physically, mentally, emotionally and even spiritually. She has a radiance and vitality that comes from sheer good health and physical fitness. She has energy, vitality, a flawless skin, shiny hair, a slim and supple body, self-confidence and self-assurance. Today, beauty consists of holistic care that includes diet, exercise, and relaxation, along with external care.


Q. Your tips for all weather beauty?
Beauty should be according to individual skin types and the season. Dry skins and winter requires more creams and moisturisers, while oily skins need light moisturising and non-oily products. In summer, astringents, refreshers and toners should be used more.

Q. Any interesting encounters with celebrities or even with common public you would like to share?
I never divulge the names of my clients. I believe that beauty is a personal matter and not ethical to discuss the names or cosmetic treatments of our clients, whether they are celebrities or not. However, I can speak of the few who went on record to mention me. I created Shamoist for our late Prime  Minister Ms. Indira Gandhi. In fact, it had become one of our fast moving products. She regularly used Shabase, our sandalwood protective cream, and told me that it was a great boon during her election tours. One of my most celebrated clients was Princess Diana, for whom I created a special line of coloured herbal kohl. I remember she had come to Harrods, the famous London store and asked for Shaeyes, our herbal kajal. We were showcasing our products at Harrods at that time. Diana was using black kohl those days and was fascinated with our herbal kajal. So, I created a special line for her with herbal kohl in different colours. She was an icon of beauty, grace and elegance. Another favourite client was Dame Barbara Cartland, the famous author. It was her interest in India’s herbal healing system that brought her in close contact with me and she became a dear friend. She was always by my side when we launched our products in London and Paris, or showcased our products in famous international stores. In fact, Barbara flew to Paris, especially for me to launch our Flower Power range of products at Galeries Lafayette in Paris. Her presence evoked tremendous media coverage. I created one of our premium products especially for her - the Barbara Cartland Honey Rose Mint Moisture Plus.


Q. What do you advice to young children to develop good habits to retain healthy skin and good personality?
Beauty cannot be achieved in a day. It is the result of regular care and a healthy lifestyle. The importance of good health should never be undermined. That is the true foundation of beauty. Experts are sounding the alarm at the sedentary life children lead these days, not to mention their junk food diets. Children are spending more time in inactivity, looking at computer and television screens, or cell phones. Lack of physical activity means poor blood circulation and inadequate oxygenation. This can be the cause of lack of energy, chronic fatigue and lethargy. Exercise, on the other hand, builds up stamina and strength and improves blood circulation to the organs. Every tissue of the body needs oxygen. Children who are physically fit sleep better and are also more capable of handling emotional stress. It’s a wake up call for parents!

Q. What is your advice to old women so they don’t feel depressed over losing glare in advanced stage of their life when skin is wrinkled and body is frail?
A woman, who has been following a healthy diet and lifestyle, finds it easier to cope with changes, as she ages. Actually, regular exercise helps to delay aging changes and has a beneficial effect on both body and mind. Along with exercise, adopt a healthy eating pattern, with an emphasis on fresh fruits, unrefined cereals, salads, sprouts, lightly cooked vegetables, yogurt and skimmed milk, clear soups, fresh fruit juices.  Your diet should be low in fats, sugar and starch, but high in vitamins and minerals. This kind of diet will raise your level of fitness and also help your skin and hair. Along with regular skin and hair care, salon facials, keep an open mind. Cultivate interests and hobbies. Learn something new. These give another dimension to the personality and make you feel more active and youthful.

Q. Your advice to Cosmetics Industry and Government for policy issues in this sector?
Herbal beauty care is driving the growth of the cosmetic industry. Therefore, Ayurveda needs attention, in terms of growing and research of medicinal herbs and flowers. Export of Ayurvedic formulations can be developed as an organized sector, by integrating it into the entire global vision for Ayurveda. Centres of Vocational training in beauty also need to be developed. Along with this, traditional Ayurvedic treatments can be developed further.  Cultural and Creative industries related to Ayurveda and Yoga provides great potential for income generation and self-employment. Government can help in exploring markets and in preparing products for the global market, especially in terms of improving quality.

Q. You are a moving encyclopedia of cosmetics and herbal products. Please tell us something apart from this questionnaire.
Over centuries of usage, it has been seen that natural ingredients have many beneficial properties and actually help to enhance the beauty of the skin and hair. Another important advantage is that they have shown a lack of harmful side-effects. Synthetic preparations and chemical ingredients, on the other hand, can cause allergic and irritative reactions. They can also cause a build-up of toxins in the system, over a period of time. The safety factor cannot be ignored and makes herbs ideal for cosmetic care. Herbs also have powerful healing properties and many benefits for skin and hair care. In fact, they have definite protective, preventive and corrective actions.  They also contain vitamins, minerals, enzymes and other valuable substances, which are imperative for the health of the skin and hair. Herbs help to improve the normal functions of the skin and scalp, including that of cell renewal. Thus they have the power to revitalize and rejuvenate. So, look at nature with enlightened eyes and make your choices.


Q. Please tell us about your favorite movie/ film actor and actress / picnic spot / books / leisure activity?

Favourite Movie – Gone with the Wind
Favourite Film Star and Actress – Amitabh Bachhan and Kareena Kapoor
Favourite Picnic Spot – Hyde Park in London

Favourite Book – The Power of Now

Favourite Leisure Activity – Writing poetry and painting


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Tension lene ka nahin, sirf dene ka”;Khamosh

"Anything But Khamosh " is the Biography of Yester years Silver screen popular star  Shatrughan Sinha,currently the ruling BJP MP from Bihar,the Northern India’s Crucial Hindi heartland state.The Book is released this week  with fanfare.  The befitting  title is reminiscent of his famous filmy dialogue on which he mastered over years and it became his brand .During electioneering too the Star of gone-bye era make delivery of the word many times and draw  repeated claps.    Unfazed by subtle bids to silence his vociferous opposition to the Narendra Modi government  Shatrughan cleverly deflects shots of those opposing him.His acidic tweets which do not spare high and mighty in the power corridors   are always talk of the Town, especially news rooms but no action was initiated against him by the party he keeps on daring on vital issues significant for the organization’s health. His party colleague and BJP MP from same state Kirti Azad is not that clever stroke play

Kidney Transplant gets underway at Yashoda Super Specialty Hospital, Kaushambhi

Buoyed by its first successful kidney transplant in newly opened kidney transplant wing, Y ashoda Super Specialty Hospital, Kaushambhi  today   resolved to further its mission of according world standard medical care facility at an   affordable cost ,and minced no words to articulate   that the kidney transplantation, too, would come under the same ambit. The Hospital’s Director Upasana Arora, speaking at a function organized to mark formal launching of the department said the hospital has emerged as an iconic institution with advance and world class patient care in NCR region of the national capital.it provides comprehensive world standard healthcare with help of cutting edge technologies and top professionals. . Dr PB Singh, who was the professor and founder head of department of urology, institute of Medical Sciences, BHU, is heading the department here and sais at least six patients who are   under work for their kidney transplant and the team is committed to perform u

Eminent Educationist Prof. Pritam B Sharma hoists flag of concerns on poor quality education; seeks thorough review

As India basked in glory of its 70 years of Independence, An eminent educationist and President of the Association of Indian Universities Prof. Pritam B Sharma  today recalled an adage “the education builds nation but poor quality education destroys the nation beyond repairs” and called for a through revisit of the country’s Education system.   He  says in the context of pledge, taken on the eve of 71st Independence day celebrations, it becomes all the more important that we seriously ponder over the quality and relevance of education for nation building. Dr sharma who is currently Vice Chancellor Amity University Gurugram said Education is not just Knowledge, it is the tripod of Knowledge, Character and Behavior. India was a great India, in fact  the Golden Eagle of the world and what we often rejoice India as the Viswa Guru,  primarily because of the value system deeply focused on practicing truth, purity, and service with aatmiyata, empathy, with witch the Indian pe